Preventing electric shock injuries this holiday season
Electric shock injuries can be very serious for kids, and the risk skyrockets during the holiday season. Fortunately, there are many things you can do to reduce the chances that your holidays will involve a visit to the pediatric emergency room for electric shock injuries. Here are some steps that parents can take to keep themselves and their kids safe this season.
Never leave young children unattended
Many electric shock injuries happen when unattended young children start exploring. Biting down on an electrical wire or sticking metal items into a plug socket can lead to significant burn injuries, so keep an eye on your child until he or she is old enough to know to stay away.
Seasonal lighting creates a unique risk for kids. Flashing and colorful lights can be irresistible to children, so even toddlers who know to keep away from cords and outlets may be too tempted to stay away. Make sure that you’re supervising kids who are playing in areas near holiday light displays.
Use protective measures
With unused plugs, adding a plug cover can resolve the danger. There are other things you can do to protect your child from electric shock injuries, such as:
- Getting rid of wires that are frayed or not insulated
- Replace any bulbs that are have burned out on holiday lighting
- Put extension cords and wires out of kids’ reach
- Clean up any water spills around electrical items right away
These simple steps can reduce the chances that your child will be exposed to anything that can cause a shock injury.
Get emergency care if a shock occurs
If your child suffers an electric shock injury, take him or her to the emergency room, even if the injury does not seem serious. Don’t touch your child if the current is still active. Instead, disconnect the power supply.
The pediatric emergency room and PICU are open at Los Robles Hospital & Medical Center throughout the holidays, to ensure your kids stay safe and healthy this season. You can learn more about all of our pediatric services by calling (877) 888-5746.