The parents’ guide to stress management
Stress can feel like a way of life for parents. From financial worries to work responsibilities and the kids’ packed schedule, it can feel like you just can’t get ahead. When you’re feeling this kind of strain, the first step to take is to ask your hospital for a referral to a physician who can help you improve your stress management and your overall health. This advice will also help you cope with the strain of parenthood.
Look for things to scratch off your schedule
Sit down with your family to talk about your schedule and how you can change it. You may find that your kids are as stressed as you are and are looking for a way to ease their burdens.
Consider cutting back on extracurricular activities or putting an end to the nightly stop at the grocery store by shopping once a week with a list. In that schedule, carve out some time where you will all relax and do something fun together as a family, which can be more productive than any of the other activities you’re doing.
Delegate tasks as much as possible
Trying to do everything for your family is impossible. Take some of the burden off of your shoulders by delegating tasks. There are a number of different ways you can take things off your plate, including:
- Joining a carpool so you don’t have to run to and from every practice
- Giving the kids a list of chores
- Hiring a cleaning person for one-off deep cleans or more frequent services
- Relying on family and friends for help with child care
Often, you will be surprised how many people are willing to help you if you tell them—or show them—how.
Focus on healthy habits
Stress often lends itself to overeating, drinking, smoking, and other unhealthy habits. You will feel less stressed if you feel more physically healthy . You don’t have to change everything overnight. Commit to one change for your health, such as taking a walk every day, to feel an improvement.
Don’t let stress overwhelm you and your family. Contact Los Robles Hospital & Medical Center today to request a referral to a physician who can help you learn stress coping techniques. Take the first step for better health by calling our hospital today at (877) 888-5746.
- Getting to Know the ER Staff: Emergency Room Nurses
- When do you need to go to the ER for food poisoning?
- Having Your Baby at the Los Robles Family Birthing Center
- Heart Center | Cardiovascular Care at Los Robles Hospital & Medical Center
- Los Robles Hospital and the LA County Fire Department Team Up!